Dec 7, 2010

This Is Africa

This is a journal entry from when I was on a plane home from Zambia, Africa in 2008.

"I miss the smells, the sounds. Touching everyone, waving at everyone. Hearing everyone scream in our house because they see a cockroach. The constant drumming, the smell of the Buseko detergent. How we all had freezing cold showers for a week straight because nobody could figure out how to use the shower. I miss listening to the girls scream EVERY single night before bed. How we all visited the babies after our long day. Away Dr. Rob. The mosquito nets. I miss how we got to show the poor children love by making them simple braclets. I miss the kids at Grace, all the kids at Buseko. T.I.A. I miss how you have to be an agressive driver to survive driving. How the monkies threw shit at Rob, and then how HE CAUGHT IT! I miss the constant dirty feet, and my sandle tan line. The way the sun rises, and sets. Believe it or not, I miss our run down van that we all swore was going to break down. Then on our last day how it ACTUALLY broke down. I miss how we all had specific seats in our van and the dinner table, and got pissed if somebody else sat there. How it was alright to cry there, and how nobody would look at you like you're a fool. I miss how for two weeks straight I stuffed all of my clothes under my bed in a heaping pile. How I can talk to Pastor Randy about the woman next door, and how her 'hooters' were always hanging out. I miss how when we forgot to take our malaria pills at dinner we would run as fast as we could to get them screaming MALARIAAA!!! I miss how I played 'guess which hand the rock is in' for a half hour straight, and didn't get bored once. How everyone stared at us calling us mzungus. The random sayings on the back of the buses; FUGITIVE!! How much fun you can have in a dirt field with a stick that had a flag on it. Running away from the children to a random house, and them pounding on the door screaming mzunguuuu! I miss sports day. How when Mumbi brought us our clean clothes they were stiff like boards. I miss the constant hard boogers, only because they were caused by African weather. Also how we woke up at 6am everyday and thought 8:30pm was outrageously late. I miss Steve and his voice; TAYLOOOW! But most of all, I miss the bond that I created with Peter, a 17 year old boy at the time. By the end of the trip we considered each other brothers. To this day, I'll never forget the hardships he had to endure in his life."

And now for some good 'ole quote memories:
"I wish my coke was vodka"
"Zamloaf"
"HAANS NOOOOO!"
"Krotcha"
"T.I.A."
"Breast feeding bus"
"AH AH AH AH EEEWAAY!"
"Moo moo moo moo moo mulishani
NSHIMAA, NSHIMA, NSHIMA, muli!"
"Mwanacachi mzungu"

Now here's some favourite photos of mine taken on my trip:











No comments:

Post a Comment